Last Updated on April 8, 2021
I’ve been visiting my local Farmers’ Market every Saturday and am loving the delicious vegetables available there that are all grown locally. Somehow everything just tastes better and it’s important to support our neighbours. Today I was inspired to create this delicious simple one-dish chicken bake recipe using fresh peppers, red onion and courgette.
For a fragrant herby flavour I included a bed of fresh thyme to rest the chicken pieces on. The dish works best with chicken thighs and drumsticks, I like to serve one of each per person. The juice of a lemon and a slug of white wine complete this simple dish, bringing all the flavours together beautifully.
Start by chopping the pepper, onion and courgette into equal-size pieces. Peel the garlic and prepare the thyme. I like to keep the thyme on the stem so it’s easy to remove the whole stem after the dish has cooked and the thyme flavour has infused throughout.
Fry the chicken in olive oil until it is lightly browned on both sides. This takes about 15 minutes in a frying pan on a medium heat.
Next, layer the vegetables in an oven-proof dish, topping with a layer of the thyme stems.
Lay the browned chicken on top of the thyme skin side up.
Squeeze the juice of the lemon over the chicken and pour in the white wine. Season with salt and pepper.
Cover the dish with tinfoil. This keeps the chicken beautifully moist as it absorbs the flavours. Put the dish in the oven at 180C and cook for 25 minutes until the vegetables soften. Then remove the foil and cook for a further 10 mins help brown the chicken a little more.
Serve immediately, pouring the lemon juices over the chicken and vegetables.
Looking for more simple chicken recipes? Why not try this delicious teriyaki?
Here’s a printable version of the chicken bake recipe for you to try.
Chicken bake with white wine and thyme
- 2 chicken thighs bone in
- 2 chicken drumsticks
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion peeled and quartered
- 1 red pepper cored and cut into large chunks
- 1 yellow pepper cored and cut into large chunks
- 1 courgette (small) sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 lemon juice of
- 1 bag fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chop all the vegetables up into equal-sized pieces.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the chicken until lightly browned on both sides (about 15 minutes).
- Layer the vegetables on the bottom of an oven-proof dish. Top with a layer of the fresh thyme and finish with your chicken pieces. Pour the juice of a lemon and the white wine over the chicken.
- Cover with foil and bake at 180C for 25 minutes or until the vegetables are softened. Then remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Serve with the lemony juices poured over the chicken.