I always enjoy creating pasta sauce. It’s an easy way to use up all my leftover veg and herbs and a really quick dinner to make. I have made my own pasta on occasion but am so impressed by the range of stuffed pastas all our supermarkets are producing. And somtimes I just don’t have the time to make it from scratch. So today I treated myself to some exotic-sounding porcini and truffle mezzelune. Mezzelune are basically like ravioli, they are just a different shape (semi-circular). I love the look of them and these ones have that deliciously earthy truffle-mushroom flavour that transports me to autumn in Italy.
Their richness and perfect consistency go perfectly with this simple sauce made with just five ingrdients – chestnut mushrooms, garlic, sage, spinach and creme fraiche.
Add the olive oil to the pan and when heated add the mushrooms and garlic. Cook for about 5 mins until the mushrooms are softened. Add the sage leaves and stir through.
Add the creme fraiche and stir through.
Place the spinach on top of the mushroom mix, replace the lid and allow to steam for about 5 mins until the spinach has wilted. Stir through.
Cook the pasta as directed on the packet. Drain and place at the bottom of a bowl. Top with the creamy sauce and a grating of Pecorino.
Here’s a printable version of the pasta sauce recipe so you can try it at home.
Creamy mushroom, spinach and sage pasta sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche
- 8 leaves sage
- 150 g chestnut mushrooms sliced
- 2 large handfuls fresh spinach
- 250 g ravioli or your choice of pasta
- Pecorino grated, to serve
- Heat the olive oil in the pan. Add the crushed garlic and the mushrooms. Stir and cook until the mushrooms are softened. Add the sage leaves and stir through.
- Add the cream and heat through.
- Add the spinach and cover. Steam for about 5 mins until it is wilted.
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the packet. Drain and place in the bottom of a bowl. Top with the sauce and some grated pecorino and serve.
For more ideas for cooking with pasta, try this fabulous recipe we made earlier. Just click here.