Last Updated on May 20, 2021
Today I’m making a favourite in our household – fried vegetable rice. It’s such a great side dish to serve with a range of cuisines, from Chinese to Spanish, and also makes for a lovely vegetarian main. Today I’ve added a special touch with Jalapeno Nettle sauce from Orriss & Son.
David Underwood, the founder of Orriss & Son has been a chef for over 20 years. With time on his hands through Lockdown, he took the opportunity to create a new range of hand-crafted, fermented chilli sauces made in small batches. They are all plant-based and ‘minus junk’ as he puts it.
I’m using the evocatively named Fresh Tendrils – an exotic-sounding Jalapeno Nettle sauce. It’s beautifully fresh with great acidity – perfect for adding a bit of zing and transforming simple vegetable rice into a unique and tasty dish.
The great thing about this recipe is its flexibility. You can pretty much use whatever vegetables you have in your kitchen. Just make sure you chop them all into small, equal-sized pieces. I used carrot, red pepper, peas and spring onions. I always use pre-cooked rice and to make life even easier I like the individual portions of frozen rice – you’ll find them in supermarkets. Defrost the rice before frying.
Start by adding the sunflower oil to a large frying pan. Add the rice and stir. Make a well in the centre of the rice and break your egg into it. Break the yolk of the egg and stir the egg with a spatula until it lightly scrambles. Stir the egg through the rice.
Add the chopped vegetables one at a time, stirring through and cook for about 10 mins until everything is lightly cooked and warmed through.
Finish the fried vegetable rice by stirring through the Orriss & Son Jalapeno Nettle sauce. Serve immediately.
Find out more about the range of Orriss & Son chilli sauces here.
Like cooking with rice? Why not try this recipe for pea and parmesan risotto.
Here’s a printable version of the recipe. Happy cooking.
Fried vegetable rice
- 250 g rice cooked
- 2 tbsps sunflower oil
- 1/2 red pepper sweet, pointed finely chopped
- 1 carrot medium, peeled and finely chopped
- 5 spring onions finely chopped
- 1 cup peas
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsps Orriss & Son jalapeno and nettle sauce
- Heat the sunflower oil in a large frying pan. Add the rice and stir.
- Make a well in the centre of the rice and break the egg into it. Stir the egg, breaking the yolk, until it becomes lightly scrambled. Mix through the rice.
- Add the vegetables, stir through and cook for about 10 mins on medium heat until softened.
- Stir through the Orriss & Son Jalapeno Nettle sauce on the heat for about a minute to coat everything. Serve immediately.
If you’d like to try this recipe, but not just yet, here’s a pin for Fried Vegetable Rice