Last Updated on December 28, 2020 by Fiona
I spend a lot of time in Spain (though not this year obviously!). I love the food – often it’s the simplest of dishes that are the tastiest. The key is choosing your ingredients carefully and this combination of flavours makes for such a beautifully rich Spanish-style paprika sausage stew that takes no effort to create.
Paprika is one of the key tastes of Spain. It comes in three different types – sweet, smoked and hot. Which means this dish can take on a range of flavours. My favourite is the piccante (hot) which I used today.
I used pork sausages today – though you could choose any kind, including vegetarian. Or leave sausages out altogether and bulk up with other vegetables like celery, turnips and celeriac. Or anything you like really. It’s a fabulously adaptable recipe.
Heat the vegetable oil in the pan and add the garlic, onion and sausages. Cook on medium for around 10 minutes until the sausages are lightly browned and the onion is softened.
Add all the rest of the ingredients and mix through. Bring to the boil, then turn down to a simmer, cover and cook for about 45 minutes or until the carrots and potatoes are tender to the bite. Check for seasoning and add salt and pepper as required.
Serve in warmed bowls with some crusty bread to mop up all the juices. You’re going to want to polish off every drop of this Spanish-style paprika sausage stew. Believe me. This is also a great dish for the freezer. Make a large panful and freeze in batches ready to defrost as needed.
Here’s a printable version of the recipe for you. Give it a try and let me know how it went.
Spanish-style paprika sausage stew
- Heavy based saucepan
- 4 sausages
- 1 onion peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 medium carrots peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic peeled and crushed
- 3 medium potatoes peeled and diced
- 400 g tinned butter beans
- 227 g tinned tomatoes
- 1 tsp hot paprika
- 4 tbsp passata (pureed tomatoes)
- 400 ml chicken stock
- Salt and pepper To taste
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based saucepan. Add the sausages, onion and garlic and cook on medium for about 10 minutes until the sausages are lightly browned and the onions are softened.
- Add the paprika and carrots and stir. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix.
- Bring to the boil, turn down to a low simmer and cover. Cook for around 45 minutes or until the carrots and potatoes are nicely tender to the bite.
- Serve with some warm crusty bread to mop up all the juices.