Last Updated on February 28, 2021
It’s always great to have a raft of favourite recipes that are simple to cook and make use of mainly store cupboard ingredients. Which is why I love this zingy tomato and chilli sauce for pasta. It has just four ingredients and takes minutes to make and it’s great for vegetarians and meat-eaters alike.
Empty the tin of tomatoes into a pan and bring to a simmer over a low heat. Add one medium fresh tomato or four cherry tomatoes (skinned and chopped) to the mix and crumble over two dried red chillies. Then the final ingredient is a good grind of black peppercorns which seems to bring all the flavours together. It’s a delicious combination of sweet tomatoes with a nice hit of chilli heat.
While this tomato and chilli sauce for pasta is fabulous on its own, it’s also the perfect base to build on. You could add extra vegetables like chopped peppers or courgettes for a heartier dish. Or stir through some meatballs or chicken for something meatier. I love serving it topped with crunchy, salty bacon lardons that I have crisped up under the grill.
I always drain my pasta, reserving a bit of the cooking liquid and then pour it into the sauce. This all needs to be mixed well so the pasta gets a good coating of the tomato sauce.
Serve in heated bowls, sprinkling generously with the grilled lardons.
Tomato and chilli sauce for pasta
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 4 cherry tomatoes peeled and chopped
- 2 Chillies dried
- Black pepper freshly ground
- 150 g Bacon cut into lardons
- 120 g linguine
- Line a baking tray with foil and spread the lardons on the tray. Place under the grill and cook until crispy, about 15mins.
- Empty the tin of tomatoes into a pan. Add the chopped fresh tomatoes.
- Crumble the dried red chillies into the pan. Season generously with black pepper.
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the packet. When ready, drain, reserving a bit of the cooking liquid.
- Add the pasta into the pan with the sauce. Add a dash of the cooking liquid to loosen the sauce slight. Mix well together until the pasta is well coated.
- Serve the pasta and sauce in a bowl with the bacon lardons sprinkled on top.
Looking for more pasta sauce inspiration? Check out this recipe for a creamy mushroom sauce here.