Last Updated on January 28, 2021 by Fiona
I love the flavour of a buffalo chicken wing – packed with spiciness and with the stickiest of textures. They’re a real, indulgent eat-with-your-fingers kind of joy. As part of reducing meat in my diet I decided to create a vegetable version. So here’s how to make vegan buffalo cauliflower.
I used OGGS to make the dish fully vegan. The Aquafaba egg substitute is made from 100% water and chickpea extract. It is totally plant-based with no added sugar, is fat free and low in calories. Perfect for vegan baking and egg-free cooking and easy to whip and whisk just like an egg.
They are a vital ingredient in the tasty batter I’m making to coat the cauliflower florets. To create that traditional spiciness you need chilli sauce (any kind will do, use your favourite), paprika and garlic powder and you’re ready to go.
The dry ingredients are mixed with the whisked OGGS and some non-dairy milk to make a smooth batter.
Take time to dip each cauliflower floret into the batter, making sure it is completely coated. Then lay the florets on a tray lined with baking parchment, taking care that they don’t touch. This is to prevent them from sticking together.
While the cauliflower is cooking, it’s time to make the Ranch Mayonnaise dipping sauce. It’s quick and easy, combining whipped OGGS, vinegar, sugar and oil. Then there’s the glaze for finishing off those florets. A simple mix of OGGS, Agave nectar, chilli sauce and paprika.
Brush the cooked cauliflower with the glaze when you take it out of the oven for a lovely glossy finish.
There’s no doubt this recipe certainly captures that authentic, spicy buffalo wing taste. Plus the vegan buffalo cauliflower is a healthy, and most importantly delicious, fully plant-based dish. A winner all round.
Find out more about OGGS by visiting their website.
If you’re looking for other recipes using OGGS try out our plant-based black bean burger.
And finally. Here’s a printable form of the recipe for you to try at home.
Buffalo Cauliflower and Ranch Mayonnaise
- 1 Cauliflower Cut into florets
- 100 ml OGGS Aquafaba
- 25 g Plain flour
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Garlic granules
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 4 tbsp Chilli sauce
- 30 ml Dairy-free milk
- 50 ml OGGS Aquafaba
- 1 tbsp Agave nectar
- 3 tbsp Chilli sauce
- 1 tsp Paprika
Ranch Mayonnaise Dip ingredients
- 50 ml OGGS Aquafaba
- 1 tbsp White wine vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp Caster sugar
- 150 ml Sunflower oil
- Squeeze of lemon
- Preheat the oven to 200C/gas mark 6 and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Using an electric whisk, whisk the OGGS Aquafaba until it form soft peaks and doesn't shift in the bowl.
- Combine all the dry ingredients into a large bowl and add the chilli sauce and milk.
- Using a spatula, gently fold the Aquafaba into the spicy batter.
- Pop the cauliflower florets into the batter and make sure they're evenly coated. Place the florets on the baking paper making sure they don't touch.
- Cook the cauliflower for 20 mins. Then turn them over and cook for another 20 mins until they're browned on both sides.
- During this time get your sauces ready. To make the mayo dip use a hand blnder to whisk up the OGGs Aquafaba in a measuring jug until it's pale, thick and frothy.
- Add the white wine vinegar and the sugar and blend again for another 30 seconds.
- Over a couple of minutes pour in the oil very slowly (a stream the width of a piece of spaghetti) and continue blending.
- Season with salt and pepper and squeeze in the lemon juice.
- To make the sticky glaze, combine the four ingredients. Once the cauliflower is cooked, brush the glaze over and serve immediately.